For her 75th episode of One Broken Mom, Ameé brings back a listener favorite, Wendy Behary. Wendy is the founder and Director of The Cognitive Therapy Center of New Jersey and The Schema Therapy Institutes of NJ-NYC and DC. She has been training professionals and supervising psychotherapists for more than twenty years.
She is the author of Disarming the Narcissist: Surviving and Thriving with the Self-Absorbed and is on the show to talk about the very real but often not understood hypersexualized nature of many male narcissists. From excessive porn watching to hiring prostitutes to having multiple affairs, the hallmark is the overarching sense of entitlement these types of narcissists feel. Unfortunately, their behaviors are demeaning and without the consent or knowledge of their partners, leaving deeply traumatic and painful wounds on the relationship as well as the partner.
In this episode you will hear:
- So what is abuse?
- Hypersexualization – how does this fit into the picture of a relationship with a narcissist?
- Are all narcissists this way?
- Is this the same as having a sex addiction?
- What is betrayal trauma?
- How do these betrayals activate the Attachment System and what does that do to victims?
- What are possible long-term impacts sometimes for a victim who’s been in a relationship like this?
- How does a person heals from this type of trauma?